Sunday, November 27, 2011

Lucio… Less Cuban Than Ever


Friday, November 11, 2011
Presented at The Laurie Beechman Theatre
New York City

I settled myself down and asked the waiter to bring me one of those famous Cuban drinks called “Mojito”, I figured I should go with the flow and enjoy whatever it was that I was going to be in for.  I got my drink, took a sip, the lights changed, and the band started to play. From the moment the music flared, the dancers entered, and Lucio took to the stage, I knew I was in for something special.  This was not your conventional cabaret show. First of all, there were seven musicians, two chorus singers, and three dancers on the tiny stage, that, in of itself, is unusual for today’s typical cabaret show.  The dancers, dressed very sexy in bright greens and pinks, entered with the energy of a thousand. And when Lucio appeared, the room exploded with what I can only describe as group ecstasy.  He was captivating! And the show, mesmerizing! His energy was contagious and the audience hungrily ate it all up.

Lucio has a very pleasant singing voice and can belt out any show tune, but what differentiates him from many other performers is how engaging he is and how well and honestly he can deliver a story.  In fact, the most extraordinary aspect of the show is how well conceived the show is, and how there are no dead moments.  The show is extremely moving while at the same time being very funny and relevant.  Although I left the theatre with a better understanding of what it means to be Cuban, or Latino, or an immigrant, the fact is this show resonates with everyone because ultimately it is a story of survival, self-acceptance, and self-discovery.

The show is novel and completely innovative, and a welcome departure from the typical one-person cabaret where the lone singer accompanied by a pianist sings a bunch of songs strung together by some patter.   “Lucio… Less Cuban Than Ever” had it all, great music, great players, exciting dancers, beautiful costumes, and an extraordinary and charismatic leading performer. In fact, one can almost say this show is in a class all its own.

I send my congratulations to the director Lennie Watts, musical director Mark Goodman, and choreographer Megan Fernandez for a superb job; and especially to Lucio Fernandez for giving me a memorable theatrical experience.    

No comments:

Post a Comment